Building your man cave from the ground up is something that not everyone has the luxury to do. Most of the time, guys simply convert their basement or another spare room in the house into their man cave to save on costs.
However, this does not mean that you can’t personalize your man cave and get it to look the way you want it to. If you’re looking for a way to customize your space and set it apart from the rest of your home, one of the best things to do is to change the flooring.
You’re probably already running the numbers in your head, thinking “won’t that be too expensive?” Sure, it could cost quite a bit but it’s definitely going to be cheaper than buying a shed or building your man cave from scratch. Plus, you know we’ve got your back! We went ahead and did the groundwork for you and we did some serious research on various types of floorings to see which ones would work best in a man cave.
So, whether you’re planning to go all out for something cool and classy or you’re aiming for something that’s more budget-friendly and cozy, we’ve got options for you. Read on below to learn more about different flooring ideas you can use for your man cave.
Best Man Cave Flooring Ideas
1. Luxury Vinyl Planks and Tiles
Looking for a quick and easy way to give your man cave a makeover? Switching to luxury vinyl planks or tiles might just be what you need. This kind of flooring is perfect if you’re on a budget but you still want your floors to look classy and elegant. Planning to DIY? Get some peel-and-stick vinyl planks/tiles like the ones shown below to make installation easier.
- Affordable – having luxury vinyl planks and tiles installed on your floors is way cheaper compared to having tiles or having your floors carpeted. The installation and upkeep costs are significantly lower, too, so you spend less on your floors in the long run.
- Durable – love having your pals over at your man cave? Having vinyl floors is perfect for you since this type of flooring can endure heavy foot traffic. It’s also a good choice if you have kids or pets who tend to do lots of running around.
- Comfortable on the feet – because they’re flat and smooth, vinyl planks and tiles are very comfortable and easy on the feet.
- Easy to install – if you’re the type who likes to DIY, you can try installing your vinyl planks/tiles on your own to save a few hundred bucks on installation. This type of flooring is quite easy to install. Most styles, like the ones shown below, already come with a self-adhesive backing so all you have to do is peel and stick them to bare floors.
- Easy to clean and maintain – another thing that you’ll love about vinyl flooring is the easy cleanup and maintenance. Spilled your beer? No worries, just wipe it clean with a dry rag. Got crumbs all over the floor? Just get a broom and sweep it up or vacuum it.
- Wide range of styles and designs to choose from – got a specific look you want to achieve for your man cave? Vinyl planks and tiles come in a variety of styles and designs so finding one that you’ll like should be easy.
- Fades over time – if your man cave gets a lot of sunlight, vinyl flooring might not be ideal since vinyl planks/tiles fade over time when constantly exposed to sunlight or extreme temperatures.
My Top Pick: Achim Home Furnishings Vinyl Floor Planks
Product Dimensions: 36 x 6 x 0.1 inches
Size: 6″ x 36″
Installation Method: Peel and stick
2. Epoxy Coating
Having an epoxy coating for your man cave is a good, economical way to redo the floors and give it a new look without breaking the bank. Not everyone can DIY this type of flooring, though, so you might have to spend a bit on installation (unless you’re a professional and you have the right equipment to get it done properly). However, it’s pretty low-maintenance once it’s installed so you can rest easy knowing that you won’t be spending a fortune trying to get it to look good all the time.
- Water-resistant and stain-resistant – let’s be honest; nobody likes cleaning up stubborn stains on the floor. By having an epoxy coating on yours, you can skip the scrubbing and just wipe or mop your floor clean.
- Fire-resistant – there’s something about playing and experimenting with fire that just appeals strongly to guys. I’m not saying it’s okay to do it, but just know that epoxy coating floors are fire-resistant as well!
- Long-lasting – epoxy coating floors can last anywhere from 7 to 20+ years. If your wife asks you to pick a flooring for your man cave that you can stick with for a really long time, this would be it.
- Easy to maintain – because epoxy coating floors have a smooth, continuous surface, you don’t have to worry about keeping the grout clean as you would with tiles or getting deep-seated dust and dirt out as you would with carpets.
- Highly customizable – epoxy coating can create an interesting look on your floor. There are tons of looks that you can achieve with this type of flooring, too, from plain colored floors to marble-looking ones and other more intricate designs as shown below.
- Laborious installation – epoxy coating can be a hassle to apply. Not only does it require professional expertise but it can take a pretty long time to complete the process, too.
- Prone to chipping – another thing to be cautious about when you have epoxy coating on your man cave floor is chipping. Dropping heavy objects or applying too much pressure can cause unsightly cracks and chips on your floor and repairing them won’t be easy.
My Top Pick: SUPERCOAT DecoEffects Atlantis Blue
Color: Atlantis Blue
Compatible Material: Concrete , Wood
Container Size: 2.6 gallons
Full Cure Time: 10 hours
3. Builder Grade Hardwood
Builder grade hardwood flooring is one of the most common and most popular types of hardwood used for indoor flooring. If you’re looking for something classy, cozy, and homey for your man cave floors, this would be a great option for you. As far as price goes, this type of flooring can be pretty pricey, though its price is definitely justifiable if you consider how durable and long-lasting it is.
- Natural look – whether it’s minimalistic Scandinavian or just plain natural that you’re going for, your man cave will surely benefit from the elegant, natural look that builder grade hardwood can give. Check out the photo shown below and see how beautifully natural builder grade hardwood floors can be.
- Long-lasting – when cared for properly, builder-grade hardwood flooring can last forever. This makes it a great option for you if you’re planning on converting your man cave into something else soon.
- Versatile – if you still haven’t decided on what theme you’re going for with your man cave but you need to decide on which flooring type to use now, choose builder grade hardwood flooring. These floors are versatile and they can match just about any aesthetic.
- Low maintenance – keeping hardwood floors in tip-top shape is easy. Just make sure to mop/sweep regularly and use a mild wood floor cleaner every now and then to keep it looking fresh and new.
- Adds value to your home – most buyers are open to paying more for a home if it has hardwood floors. This flooring type is great for raising the value of your home so you can get more for it if you decide to sell it in the future.
- Pricey – builder-grade hardwood is solid in quality so prepare to pay a rather hefty amount if you choose this material for your man cave flooring. Installation and labor costs can get pretty expensive, too.
- Tends to be noisy – if your man cave is located in the upstairs area of your home, you might want to rethink your decision to use builder grade hardwood as this type of material tends to be pretty noisy. There are workarounds to this issue, though, such as using area rugs in high-traffic areas.
My Top Pick: Somerset Solid Hardwood
Construction: Solid Hardwood
Thickness: 1/2 in.
Design/Texture: Builder Hickory
Gloss: Low Gloss
Installation Method: Nail/Staple
4. Polished concrete
If you’re going for a tough, manly look for your man cave, check out polished concrete flooring. This type of flooring adds a very raw, industrial vibe to any space. It’s not something that you can just DIY (unless you’re a professional) so you will have to spend quite a bit on installation. However, the material itself is priced quite reasonably and upkeep is pretty easy and inexpensive, too, making polished concrete an over-all cost-effective flooring option for your man cave.
- Heavy-duty – one of the things that polished concrete is known for is its ability to take on just about anything. It doesn’t chip or crack easily which is why it’s a top choice for both residential and commercial applications.
- Cost-effective – while labor costs could be hefty, polished concrete as a material for flooring is pretty cost-effective. It’s a good mix of value and quality that no man cave owner can resist.
- Manly look – nothing looks more manly than polished concrete. If you’re looking to achieve that macho vibe for your man cave, this would be a great flooring option for you.
- Highly customizable – whether you want shiny floors or you prefer to have them textured, you can achieve that with polished concrete. This flooring option is highly customizable so it’s easy to get the look you want for your man cave with it.
- Anti-microbial – with most man caves being located in basements, germs, bacteria, and other microbes can be a problem. Thankfully, polished concrete has anti-microbial properties that can help keep your space safe.
- Easy and cheap upkeep – upkeep for polished concrete is pretty easy and cheap. You can use a broom or a mop for daily quick cleaning and get a polishing kit like the one shown below for periodic cleaning sessions to help restore its shine.
- Cold – if you’re someone who gets cold easily, this might not be the flooring material for you. Polished concrete tends to feel cold on the feet so you’ll have to add area rugs to your man cave if you plan on using this.
My Top Pick: Diamond Polishing Pads
Product Dimensions: 4 x 4 x 4 inches
Cutting Diameter: 4 Inches
Assembled Diameter: 4 Inches
Material: Diamond Impregnated within White Resin
Usage: Concrete Polishing
5. Ceramic Tile
It may be your man cave but the wife surely still has a say on the materials to used in it. If you’re looking for a man cave flooring material that you and your wife will easily agree on, it’s ceramic tiles. This popular flooring material of choice offers a vast range of styles and designs to choose from so finding one to match your man cave’s aesthetics will definitely be a no-brainer.
- Countless design options – one of the best things about ceramic tiles is that they come in so many styles and designs. So, whether you want floors that are plain, printed, patterned, or textured for your man cave, you’re sure to find tiles to fit your need.
- Cut-to-fit any room – another thing that lots of man cave owners appreciate about ceramic tiles is that it can be custom-cut to fit any size and shape. Whether your man cave is one big square or more oddly-shaped, you can have tiles cut at specific angles to fit perfectly into every corner.
- Easy to care for – glazed ceramic tiles like the ones shown below are easy to care for and maintain. They’re water- and stain-resistant so light sweeping and mopping are often enough to clean this type of flooring.
- Tough and durable – worried about damaging your floors when you get lots of friends over at your man cave? Don’t be! Ceramic tiles are extremely durable and can withstand just about anything.
- Available at every price point – worried about your budget? Tiles come at varying price points, from simple and generic budget-friendly ones to more expensive ones of higher quality and finer workmanship.
- Meticulous installation – no one likes uneven floors. Unless you’re experienced in installing tiles, we asuggest leaving it to the experts as installation can be quite meticulous.
My Top Pick: American Olean Pozzalo 11-Pack Weathered Noce
Tile Shape: Square
Surface Type: Smooth
Installation Type: Thinset mortar
6. Vinyl Tiles
Want the look of hardwood floors or marble ones but don’t have the budget for it? Why not use vinyl tiles in your man cave instead? This is a great option for mimicking the look of other (more expensive) flooring materials at a much more affordable price. Guys who like to DIY can install this type of flooring material themselves, thanks to DIY vinyl tile kits like the one shown below.
- Easy installation – compared to other flooring materials, vinyl tiles are easy to install. You can DIY it if you want to save on installation costs, or you can have a professional install it if your budget allows.
- Fits any space – like ceramic tiles, vinyl tiles can be cut to fit into any shape to fit any corner. What’s more, is that you don’t need special tools or equipment to do so as you would only need a utility knife to get the job done.
- Budget-friendly – vinyl tiles are one of the most affordable flooring materials you can use for your man cave. It’s great if you’re looking for something temporary while you save up for better floors, though they do last for quite some time as well.
- Mimics other flooring materials – just because it’s cheap doesn’t mean it has to look the part. Vinyl tiles can do a great job of mimicking the look of other flooring materials at a more economical price.
- Low-maintenance – “that’s not the right one!” is a phrase you’ll never hear from the missus again because you won’t need to buy special cleaning products for your vinyl tile man cave floors. All you need are some water and a mop or a rag to wipe your floors clean with.
- Prone to denting – your pool table, that heavy home-theater recliner, and those weights that you use for working out could damage vinyl tiles since this type of flooring material is prone to denting.
My Top Pick: Achim Home Furnishings Vinyl Tiles
Dimensions: 12 x 12 x 0.02 inches
Size: 12×12 Inch
Color: Charcoal Grey Wood
Installation Method: Self adhesive, Peel and stick
Looking for a quick, easy, budget-friendly no-fuss flooring option? Just paint your man cave floors and be done with it! This is a great weekend project that you can take on if you want to add a personal touch to your man cave or it could be a fun bonding activity between you and the boys, too! If you choose to take this route with your man cave floors, choose a paint that’s quick to dry and requires little to no prep like the one shown below.
- Highly customizable – want plain floors? Go ahead and paint them. If you’re more ambitious, you can create a more graphic design on your floors using paint as well. Use stencils, map out a design, add embellishments — the choice is yours!
- Economical – if you’re on a tight budget, painting your floors would be one of the most economical options. You can do it yourself and all you really need to get the job done is a paint roller and/or a paint brush along with the paint of your choice.
- Easy to do – you don’t need to be skilled or experienced to paint your man cave floors. If you’ve always wanted to DIY something around the house, this might be a good place to start.
- Shows previous flaws – if your floor has been chipped, cracked, dented, or damaged in any other way, painting won’t cover up these previous flaws. You need to repair/refinish the flawed area first before painting.
My Top Pick: Jolie Paint Classic Navy
8. Concrete Stain
Judging by the name alone, you would think that concrete staining is a complicated process that’s better off left to the pros. However, this flooring option is definitely something that you can DIY with a little bit of elbow grease, patience, and experience. If you’re concrete staining for the first time, it’s highly suggested that you try it out on a smaller area first. This method is ideal for man caves located in basements since it will allow you to make use of the existing floor without making too many changes.
- Economical – if changing your man cave’s floors altogether isn’t an option because you have a limited budget, look into concrete staining instead. This option allows you to keep and use your man cave’s existing floors so you only need to buy the actual product to get it done.
- Easy to apply – concrete stain is easy to apply. Unless you have an enormous room for a man cave, you should be able to get the job done by yourself in half a day or less.
- Enhances the look of bare floors – bare concrete floors aren’t too aesthetically pleasing. If you’re looking for a quick way to enhance the look of the concrete floors in your man cave, staining would be a great way to go about it. This method adds a ton of shine to bare concrete, giving them a more finished look.
- Covers up imperfections – whether it’s cracks, paint stains, or other types of imperfections, adding a layer of concrete stain to bare floors is a great way to cover it up. This is also true for any application hazards like brush marks and uneven distribution. If you have plenty of flaws to conceal, go for a darker shade like the one below.
- Calls for commitment – since the stain is absorbed by the concrete, removal and replacement can be tough. This is why it’s important that you’re 100% sure about using concrete stain before starting the application process.
If you’re fairly happy with the floors you already have in your man cave and are just looking for a way to spruce it up and make it look more lively and interesting, adding an area rug or two can help. Placing a rug in a high-traffic area can also help protect your man cave’s floors.
- Cheap – adding a rug to your man cave is one of the cheapest ways to change up its look. Installation and labor costs are basically non-existent since there’s no need to get a pro to lay a rug down on your floor for you.
- Endless design options – rugs come in an amazingly vast array of colors, styles, and designs that finding one that will fit right into your man cave is close to impossible. In fact, you can even have one custom-made for your man cave if you’re willing to shell out a bit more than the usual amount you would for a rug.
- Adds warmth – ever had your wife or your girlfriend complain about how your man cave is “too cold and too manly?” Adding a rug might just be the perfect way to resolve that issue.
- Easy to replace – rugs are easy to replace in case you damage it or simply chance your mind about the overall look you want for your man cave. You can reuse them in other rooms, too, if you don’t want your old rug to go to waste.
- High maintenance – small as they may be, rugs can be pretty high maintenance. If you don’t already own a vacuum, you’ll have to buy one once you get a rug. Aside from regular vacuuming, rugs need to be washed and shampooed, too, to get rid of any stains, odors, and deep-seated dirt.
My Top Pick: O-X_X-O Large Area Rug
Cheap Man Cave Flooring Ideas
Whether you’re on a tight budget or simply can’t be bothered to spend a fortune on your floors (because why get expensive floors when you can get a sick gaming rig for half the price?), there are tons of cheap man cave flooring options out there that you can choose from. Here are some of the best ones.
10. Concrete sealer
Most man caves are located in basements with bare concrete floors. Some man caves are even located in garages (best for band practice with the boys, hey) If yours is the same and you’re looking for a way to make the bare concrete floors look better, you should check out concrete sealing.
- Water resistant – using a concrete sealer can help make your bare concrete floors water-resistant which is ideal if you have problems with excessive moisture in the basement.
- Stain-resistant – bare concrete floors are porous. If you’ve ever spilled beer or any other liquid on them, you might have noticed how the liquid gets absorbed and then leaves a stain. Using a concrete sealer like the one shown below will help get rid of this problem.
- Protects bare concrete – another reason why you should consider using a concrete sealer on your man cave floors is because doing so can help protect your floors from getting damaged. It also helps make your floors last longer.
- Makes bare concrete look better – if you think those bare concrete floors are too industrial for your man cave, you can use a concrete sealer to give them a more finished look instead.
- Easy application – sealing concrete is a fairly easy process. If you’re looking for an option that you can DIY, this would be a good pick.
- Regular re-application needed – unlike other flooring options that you only need to install, concrete sealing needs to be reapplied regularly which translates to recurring expenses in the future.
My Top Pick: Rainguard Micro-Seal
Volume: 1 gallons
Size: 300 Sq. Ft.
Color: Clear Invisible
Material: Silane Siloxane Blend, Micro-lok, Water Based
11. Interlocking Floor Tiles
Adding a layer of interlocking floors tiles is a great way to combat hardness of floors. These are often made from rubber so they’re softer and they feel much better on the feet. If you have kids who love invading your man cave, adding interlocking floor tiles can help prevent injuries from roughhousing and falling, too.
- Easy to install – this is definitely something that you can do yourself. Thanks to its interlocking system, you won’t have to worry about misaligned tiles ever again.
- Easy to remove – changed your mind about using interlocking floor tiles? No worries, this flooring option is not just easy to install but easy to remove as well. Since most interlocking tiles are similar to the ones shown below and don’t use any type of adhesive, taking them off and replacing them with something else won’t be a problem.
- Perfect fit guaranteed – interlocking floor tiles can be cut to fit any space. The ones shown below even come with removable edge pieces which makes installation much easier.
- Lots of design options – from plain tiles to ones that mimic wood and other flooring materials, interlocking floor tiles come in a wide variety of designs.
- Reusable – old interlocking tiles that you’ve previously used in your man cave can be used in other rooms in the house, too, in case you decide to go with another type of flooring for your space.
- High-maintenance – most interlocking tiles are textured so it’s easy for dirt and dust to cling on to them. The spaces between interlocking tiles often trap dirt in between, too, so you’ll need to spend a bit more time cleaning and maintaining it to keep it flawlessly clean.
Size: 24″ x 24″ x ~14mm
Weight: ~1.88 Lbs/tile
Material: Closed cell EVA foam with a veneer top
Best Man Cave Garage Flooring
12. Garage Floor Tiles
Garage floor tiles need to be heavy-duty and durable since the garage receives a lot of foot traffic. Aside from that, it’s where your car goes as well so you’ll want to look for something that can withstand all that pressure.
- Easy breezy installation – most garage floor tiles are similar to the ones shown below. They snap together so installation is a breeze.
- Easy clean up – cleaning this type of garage floor tiles is easy, too. You can power wash it in case it gets really dirty but, for the most part, mopping should be able to keep it clean.
- Non-slip – because most garage floor tiles are made of rubber, it helps prevent accidents due to slipping. The ones shown below also have a diamond top design that makes it slip-resistant.
- Uncomplicated upkeep and maintenance – maintaining garage floor tiles is easy. In case of damages, you only need to replace the damaged tile instead of the whole floor.
- Cost-effective – all things considered, using garage tile floors is still a more economical choice compared to other flooring options. From the price of the material to the labor-free installation and easy upkeep, this flooring material is a great choice if you want something that’s easy on the pocket.
- Off-putting smell – most garage floor tiles just reek of rubber when it’s newly installed. Thankfully, the scent dissipates and disappears as time goes by so it won’t render your garage/man cave totally useless for a long period of time.
My Top Pick: GarageTrac Diamond
Novelty Man Cave Flooring
13. Sports Carpet Tiles
If you’re the type who loves to host watch parties for you and your friends’ favorite team, adding sports carpet tiles will help complete and elevate the experience. Sports carpet tiles not only make your floors feel more comfortable, they add a fun overall vibe to your man cave as well!
- Brightens up the room – if you have a typical man cave that’s filled with dark, neutral colors, you can brighten it up by adding sports carpet tiles.
- Adds a unique look to your man cave – using sports carpet tiles is a great way to add a unique look to your man cave. Cover the entire floor with it or use it only in specific areas of your man cave, the choice is entirely up to you.
- Easy to install – most sports carpet tiles are similar to the ones shown below. They come with a rubber backing that helps keep the carpet tile in place without the help of glue or any other type of adhesive.
- Easy to remove – since most sports carpet tiles don’t use adhesives to stick to your garage floors, they’re super easy to remove as well. Just peel them off of your floors when needed.
- Tends to fade over time – sports carpet tiles in heavy-traffic areas of your man cave could wear out faster than the ones that aren’t always stepped on. On top of that, the colors tend to fade away over time as well so dealing with unevenly colored carpet tiles might be an issue in the future.
My Top Pick: FANMATS Dallas Cowboys Team Carpet Tiles
14. Checkerboard Tiles
If you find plain man cave floors too boring, why not try checkerboard tiles? While these often come in black-and-white, there are other colorways available as well that are sure to fit your man cave’s overall theme and design.
- Adds a vintage retro feel to your man cave – going for a classic retro look with a hint of French elegance? Adding checkerboard tiles would be the perfect way to complete your man cave’s vintage theme.
- Creates a beautiful contrast – putting light and dark colors side-by-side always creates a beautiful contrast and that’s exactly what checkerboard floors can help you achieve.
- Instantly adds character and personality – garage spaces are boring. If you don’t have the budget to re-do the whole garage as your man cave yet, you can start by having checkerboard tiles installed instead. Doing so instantly adds character and personality to the space.
- Timeless – checkerboard floors are timeless. Even if you decide to move your man cave in another part of your home in the future, the checkerboard floors would still look great for your garage.
- Subjective – you may like the look of checkerboard tiles but if you decide to sell your home in the future, your potential buyers may not feel the same way about it. Get peel-n-stick checkerboard tiles like the ones shown below so you can easily remove them when needed.
My Top Pick: Achim Home Furnishings Checker Tiles
Dimensions: 12.2 x 12.2 x 1.3 inches
Installation Method: Peel and stick
Coverage: 20 square feet
Man Cave Flooring Ideas Roundup
When choosing a flooring material for your man cave, one of the most important things you have to consider is installation. How easy is the material to install? Do you need a professional to do it or is it something that you can do yourself?
If you’re on a tight budget, you might want to go for flooring materials that you can install by yourself or with the help of a few of your pals. Some of the easiest flooring materials to install include peel-n-stick vinyl planks/tiles, interlocking floor tiles, and garage floor tiles. Painting your man cave floors is another option if you want something that you can do on your own to save on labor and installation costs.
If, on the other hand, you have a big enough budget and you want your man cave to look impeccably done, you can opt for higher end flooring options that require the skills and expertise of a pro such as concrete tiles and polished concrete.
Most of the man cave flooring options presented above are fairly DIY-able. However, this would depend on your skill level and experience. If you’re confident that you can get the job done, go ahead and do it! Otherwise, just leave it to the pros. Fixing and repairing your mistakes will just double your expenses.